Today in the United States it is Thanksgiving, a time for family and friends to come together to feast and share what they are thankful for. On behalf of RecessAnytime.com we hope you have an amazing day, please enjoy these Thanksgiving fun facts!
- The first Thanksgiving was shared between the Pilgrims and the Wampanoag Indians in 1621.
- The first Thanksgiving celebration lasted three days.
- The menu back then was a bit different. It consisted of venison, fowl, and other foods prepared by the pilgrims.
- Thanksgiving wasn’t always a yearly tradition, in 1863 Abraham Lincoln declared the day to be a National Holiday.
- If Ben Franklin had his way, the turkey would be our national bird. An eagle, he wrote in a letter to his daughter, had “bad moral character.” A turkey, on the other hand, was a “much more respectable bird.”
- There are four cities in the United States called “Turkey”. Louisiana’s Turkey Creek is the most populous, with a whopping 435 residents! There’s also Turkey Texas; Turkey North Carolina; and Turkey Creek Arizona.
- Thanksgiving is not just an American holiday. Canadians celebrate it too. Except they do it the second Monday in October.
- The average weight of a turkey purchased at Thanksgiving is 15 pounds, but the largest recorded weighed an incredible 86 pounds!
Again, we are so grateful for the visitors we’ve had to our website over the past 4 weeks! We leave you with this hilarious video of some very vocal turkeys. Happy Thanksgiving!